Crispy Chicken, Bacon, & Artichoke Skillet | Whole30, PALEO


Sometimes I spend weeks daydreaming about a recipe that will knock all your socks off and totally break the mold because it's just so dang creative.

And other days I stumble into the kitchen, with absolutely no motivation to make dinner (but have to make something that will get us through the night without a hangry episode).  

This was one of those nights. 

But once I turned on a YouTube video, pulled out a few of my favorite things (bacon & artichoke hearts, YES) and got to work... a little dredging here, a little fried bacon there, I found a little comfort in the kitchen that turned into some big inspiration.  And somehow, these non-planned types of recipes always turn out to be some of my very favorites.

Comfort food is my favorite kind of food, and when it can be done quick & easy, all in one skillet, and with some of my very favorite flavors?  There's no way it can go too wrong.


This dish is savory, rich, and full of delicious melt-in-your-mouth flavor.  The chicken stays crispy on the outside & ultra juicy on the inside with a light almond flour coating, and is the tastiest thing when dipped into the creamy bacon-artichoke pan sauce.

We loved how this turned out, and have gobbled up every last bite each time I've made it.  I sure hope you & your family love it too!  See my notes below for tips & how we love to serve it.




Ingredients:
  • 5 slices bacon
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 2 tsp dried herb blend of your choice (I like an Italian blend or Spice Cave's "Wind")
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 1/2 to 2 lbs chicken breasts
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup spinach, chopped
  • 1 whole lemon


Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, salt, pepper and dried herbs.  Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and set aside.
  3. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat.  Cut the bacon into 1" strips, and fry for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon & set aside, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
  4. Reduce the heat to medium, and add the dredged chicken pieces.  Cook them for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown (don't worry about cooking them through).  Remove the chicken, and set it aside on a plate.
  5. Add the garlic, spinach, and artichoke hearts to the pan, cooking for a few minutes until the spinach is just wilted.
  6. Pour the coconut milk & broth over top, stirring to release all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.  Add salt & pepper to taste, and juice of half a lemon.  Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken.
  7. Add the chicken and bacon back into the pan, spooning the sauce over top of the meat.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
  8. Serve hot, garnished with remaining lemon.


*Notes:
  • Double check your bacon and chicken broth for sugar if you're making this on a Whole30!
  • You can serve this dish on its own, or plate it over roasted spaghetti squash or smashed gold potatoes.

post signature

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Just stumbled across your site! Going to make this! Thinking about topping it with capers too

Anonymous said...

Since discovering you about a month ago, i have made about a recipe a week and have been so impressed with the flavors you combine in a healthy and tasty way! I made this last night and the whole family loved it. My husband and I as well as our two kids (ages 5 & 9). Next time I'm going to double the recipe so we have left overs!

Jessie B said...

Kate- capers sound amazing! A friend of mine said mushrooms too. All sounds so yummy!!

Anonymous- I am SO happy to hear that you and your family are enjoying some of my recipes. That's exactly the reason I keep my blog going. Thank you so much for telling me!

Unknown said...

Made this for dinner last night and I'm currently eating it for lunch. I modified the recipe a little with chicken bone broth, added some extra spice and fresh shiitake mushrooms. It's super delicious! I was hesitant about the coconut milk but its very mild.

Keep up the awesome recipes and thanks for sharing!

Nancy from Arkansas said...

We just tried this recipe. Loved it. I served it with garlic mashed cauliflower, and The husband, Mike, went back for seconds! I will definitely serve this recipe again and look forward to adding mushrooms and capers like others suggested along with a few cherry tomatoes and pine nuts. Thanks for a totally awesome recipe.