Sunday, July 20, 2014

Beef Enchilada Bake


I love making "one-dish" meals like chili, meatloaf, etc.  They have become a major favorite around my house since you can get your meat & veggies all in one flavorful bite, while saving yourself the work of too many dishes!

This new creation of mine was inspired by my love of one-dish meals, and the fact that I wanted Mexican food (but Paleo style!).  I think that Mexican foods are some of the toughest to "Paleo-fy", since most are wrapped in a tortilla & served with rice and beans~ so not quite Paleo-friendly.

I wanted a dish that would satisfy the cravings for a Mexican flavor, without any guilt.  This baked casserole gives you the taste of an enchilada when you bite into it, but is packed with high-quality beef and a ton of veggies.  I use cauliflower "rice" in this dish, which has a great grain-like texture that is the perfectly neutral-flavored base for the ground beef and enchilada sauce.

This enchilada bake tastes amazing, is super filling & hearty, and makes great leftovers!  It's also a great way to put your shredded cauliflower to use.  (See my post on how I shred & store my cauliflower in bulk here)

Let me know if you give it a try!  I'm pretty excited about this one... definitely something a little different!  :)


Ingredients:
  • 4 cups shredded cauliflower (about 1 medium head)
  • 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1/2 green bell pepper
  • 1 jalapeño, minced
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp garlic
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • salt & pepper to taste (don't be shy with it... there's a lot of cauliflower to season up!)
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
  2. Combine the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and oregano in a small bowl until smooth~ this is your sauce.
  3. Saute the ground beef & onion in a large pan until the meat is no longer pink.
  4. Stir the bell pepper, jalapeño, and enchilada sauce into the pan until until combined.
  5. Drizzle a 9 x 13" baking dish with avocado oil, or a cooking fat of your choice, to avoid sticking. 
  6. Fill the bottom of your dish with the shredded cauliflower, then top with the meat and veggie mixture.  
  7. Crack the three eggs into the casserole, and stir them in until the eggs are no longer visible.
  8. Once stirred, bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour- or until browned around the edges.
  9. Let it cool for a few minutes, slice into squares, & serve!

post signature

8 comments:

Julie B said...

This was seriously the best, most filling, meal I've made in a while! It was the bomb - we've been eating a lot of just meat on the grill with a side of veggies to keep it paleo style. But this was awesome! It as like eating the good ol' enchiladas that I used to make! Ok, so maybe better! Everyone was so full too! Definitely will be making this again!!

Julie B said...

Oh, and we did make a side of your real guacamole to go with it - topped it off fabulously! The only thing better would be if you were home to make it for us (and do the dishes��)!

Eligonma said...

I made this yesterday and my husband and I loved it! It was so easy to make, but so delicious!

Jessie B said...

Mom~ I am SO happy you guys all enjoyed it! Even picky Alex! I agree, it's a lot more filling than you would think. Now I will have to try it with guacamole on top next time! Love you & thank you for the nice comment!


@Eligonma: I am so happy to hear that! I agree, really easy~ especially if you have the cauliflower on hand! Thank you for coming back to leave a comment :)

OneThickChick said...

This was good. I was short on time so I precooked the cauliflower rice for a few minutes in the microwave then cooked it at 475 for about 20ish minutes. Kids liked it too!

Jessie B said...

@OneThickChick~ Good thinking! & glad to hear kids loved it, they can be tricky to please :) Thanks for coming back to tell me!

Sandra Hudson said...

How do you make the cauliflower rice?

Jessie B said...

Hi Sandra! I have a post all about it here: http://justjessieb.blogspot.com/2014/03/shredded-cauliflower-tips-how-to.html (or just search shredded cauliflower on my blog). I do it in the food processor! :)