Quick Shrimp & Green Bean Curry Skillet | PALEO, Whole30


One of my favorite flavor profiles that I've grown to love in adulthood (because I was a picky kid) is a good Thai curry.  The warm, mildly spiced curry sauces are some of my favorites, and pair so well with almost any protein.  The fact that the coconut-based creaminess lends itself so easily to a Paleo or Whole30 meal is just an added bonus!

And while I continue to love & make more traditional-spiced dishes like my Thai Coconut Curry Chicken and Thai Coconut Curry Soup, taking the time to create a Thai spice blend can be consuming.  Often I'll make a large batch at once, so it's ready to be sprinkled into a skillet dish or soup whenever I'm ready for some spicy-sweet Thai flavor.  However, I totally understand not wanting to go out & purchase 1 million different spices just to create one blend (or to even have that many to store in your spice cabinet).  For those reasons, and for the love of quick & simple meals, I decided to come up with a simplified curry.  The less ingredients, the better~ but still with enough flavor to give it that traditional Thai flair.


This one-dish skillet dinner was just what I aimed for!  It will fill you up with juicy shrimp and tender-crisp green beans, and will warm your belly and senses with its mild, creamy curry base.  While we love eating this on its own & drinking the remaining liquid, this is also an easy dish to bulk up with some cauliflower rice (for Paleo & Whole30 eaters) or white rice (for others who go for grains).


I hope you love this meal!  Feel free to add whatever other spices you enjoy and have on hand, or even toss in some pineapple or mango chunks for more flavor & texture.  Use this quick & simple recipe as a guide, and enjoy!


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb shrimp
  • 1 can full fat coconut milk
  • 3 to 4 cups green beans
  • 1/4 of an onion, chopped
  • 1/2 jalapeño, minced (optional)
  • 2 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp each:  paprika, cumin, cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp each:  salt, pepper, clove
  • dash of cayenne


Directions:

  1. Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion, jalapeño, and garlic, sautéing for 2 to 3 minutes to soften.
  2. Stir in the green beans, and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp.  Add the spices, and stir to combine.
  3. Move the green beans to the sides of the skillet, and add in the shrimp to the center.  Cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the coconut milk.  Simmer until the shrimp is cooked through, and the sauce slightly thickens.
  4. Serve alone or over steamed cauliflower rice (for Paleo/Whole30) or white rice (if you do grains).  Enjoy!!



post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious and I want to try it! It's called "curry skillet" but I don't see any curry on the recipe. Is that on purpose? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Thank you so much!

Jessie B said...

Never a dumb question! :) "Curry" is a blend of spices. And I make my own simple Thai Curry spice blend which is what's listed in the recipe! It's so good!!

Ashley Cleveland said...

Looks delicious! Do you use frozen green beans for this?