Paleo Pizza Bake

I threw a teaser out about this recipe over on my Instagram, way too long ago, and never got around to posting it.  So, without further ado, here is my Paleo-friendly pizza bake-- where I toss all my favorite pizza toppings over some shredded squash, mixed up with some sauce, and call it "close enough" to the real deal (without the guilt).

Go ahead & add in any of your favorite pizza toppings, and make it your own!  You can also spice it up any way you like;  I just kept mine simple.

Also, to make life even easier... you can skip shredding the squash and just give it a quick chop!  The choice is yours.

Hope you enjoy  :)


Ingredients:

  • 2 medium yellow squash
  • 1 lb Sweet Chicken Italian Sausage (mine were fully cooked, from TJ's)
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced and chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into thin 1" strips
  • 1.5 cups tomato sauce of choice (I used the Roasted Garlic Spaghetti Sauce from TJ's)
  • 6 large slices pepperoni, roughly chopped
  • 1 Tbsp garlic, minced

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF, and get out a casserole-style baking dish.
  2. Using a hand-held grater or food processor, shred the squash and spread it in an even layer in your baking dish.
  3. Chop your sausage into bite-sized pieces, and brown in a large pan over medium-high heat.  Remove from the heat, and stir in your chopped veggies (mushrooms, onion, bell pepper) and tomato sauce.
  4. Pour the meat and vegetable mixture over the squash in your baking dish, then top with pepperoni and sprinkle with the minced garlic.
  5. Bake at 400ºF for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender & the pepperoni and garlic look browned.  Your cooking time might vary depending on your oven~ so keep an eye on it for your first try!
Per Serving (makes 6)
Calories: 246
Carbs: 9g  |  Fat: 14g  |  Protein: 19g


post signature

1 comment:

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness said...

YES. I love how hearty this looks (my hubby will appreciate that too). I can't wait to try this when I'm craving pizza!! Definitely adding green olives to this as they are my fav :)