Cauliflower Pizza Crust | PALEO, Keto, Whole30

I have been perfecting my cauliflower pizza crust for a long time now.  So many of my favorite recipes have been on-the-fly, lucky, thrown together ideas that turned out perfect the first time...  This one, however, was not so easy.

There are so many "healthy" pizza crust recipes out there on the internet~ but I've never been able to find the one that ticks all of the boxes.  They're either too soggy, too bland, or packed with shredded cheese (or other non-Paleo ingredients).  I love the idea of a veggie crust for pizza, so I kept on my mission to come up with my own recipe.  I couldn't be happier with it, and am super excited to finally share!

After many almost-perfect attempts, here is my gluten, dairy, soy, and sugar-free Cauliflower Pizza Crust.  Perfect for my Paleo friends out there, and something fun to try even if you're not a Paleo eater!  There are endless possibilities with this basic crust recipe... Switch up the sauce, the toppings, or even the shape; I think mini pizzas would be fun!

Hope you enjoy :)

p.s.~ Scroll to the bottom of the recipe for nutritional information.... you'll be amazed at how few calories this amazing crust contains!



 Here is my pizza crust fully topped & ready to enjoy!  I used Trader Joe's Organic Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce, then sprinkled with fresh spinach, crimini mushrooms, and thinly sliced Italian sausage.



Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded cauliflower (See my tips & how-to here)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
  2. Microwave the cauliflower in a large bowl for about 4 minutes (add an extra minute if preparing from frozen).
  3. Allow to cool to room temperature.  Transfer to a cheesecloth, thin dishcloth, or stack of paper towels (I needed about 3 layers) and squeeze out the majority of the moisture over the sink.
  4. Transfer the cauliflower back to the bowl, and mix in the egg, coconut flour, and spices.
  5. Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and pinch into a 10-inch round circle (or whatever shape you like!).
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top begins to turn a light golden brown.
  7. Add toppings of your choice (sauce, veggies, fully cooked meats), return to the oven, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until toppings are fully cooked and the pizza is warmed through.
  8. Slice & serve!
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 whole crust recipe
Calories: 207 • Fat: 8 g • Carbs: 22 g • Protein: 14 g • Sugar: 7 g • Sodium: 1055 mg

*TIP: Double the recipe to make two crusts, bake them, top as desired, then freeze for later!  Now you've got a frozen pizza~ just thaw & bake at 425ºF until heated through & golden brown.


post signature

22 comments:

The Purple Front Door said...

This is great Jessie! I can't wait to try it out. I just started my second Whole30 and was looking for new recipes. Thanks!

Jessie B said...

I hope you love it Myla! Good luck on your Whole30, I just finished mine a few weeks ago, and I loved the results :)

Unknown said...

How thick do you recommend getting the crust? I messed up big time haha
Round 2 will be better.

Jessie B said...

I would say about 1/4" to 1/2"... mine was about 10 inches round & the thickness was perfect!

Casey westguard said...

How many people does each pizza typically feed Jessie?

Anonymous said...

Just made 2 crusts for me and my hubby (we each ate one and it definitely wasn't too much food). They we're awesome!!! This recipe is a keeper. Thanks so much! Will be trying the cauliflower biscuits next ;)

Unknown said...

Any tips for someone who doesn't have a microwave?

Jessie B said...

You could try sautéing it over low until it gets translucent, then allowing it to cool!

lisa said...

This was amazing! I don't have a microwave so I did it in the frying pan worked great! I'm excited to try the balls next time. Thank you for this I don't eat cheese and you were the first cauliflower crust I could find that didn't call for cheese.

Jessie B said...

So happy to hear good feedback from you Lisa! Thank you for taking the time you comment! The "pizza bites" are one of my favorites because they are so easy. & totally agree on all of the recipes out there calling for cheese... it's so unnecessary!

Val said...

Hi Jessie, do you think Almond Flour can be substituted for the coconut?
Please let me know if you tried it & it was an epic fail to avoid it! :)

Anonymous said...

My husband and I loved this recipe.....made it tonight with sautéed sweet onions, mushrooms, green pepper and crumbled bacon. Thanks Jessie! To remove the moisture after microwaving the cauliflower, I used a nut bag which worked beautifully. Your beef enchilada bake was amazing also and we plan to make the cauliflower biscuits and pizza bites next.

Emie said...

What would you suggest for step 1 for those of us who don't own a microwave? I can't quite tell what the purpose of this step is - softening the cauliflower? So maybe steaming it would be the no-microwave modification?

Jessie B said...

The microwaving in step 1 is to soften the cauliflower & begin cooking it. You could steam it, or sauté as I did with my biscuit recipe here: http://www.justjessieb.com/2013/10/cauliflower-biscuits-with-bacon-jalapeno.html (Just remember to squeeze out the moisture afterwards)

neil said...

Could you use egg whites?

Jessie B said...

Sure! I would use two egg whites to replace one whole egg.

Maria said...

Can I chop the cauliflower or so I need to shred?

Casey westguard said...

Hey if also like to know if almond flour or something other than coconut can be used as a substitute? I've developed an allergy to coconut!

Jessie B said...

Hi Casey! It's just 2 Tablespoons, so any other flour would be fine! I think arrowroot or tapioca would be best if you can't do coconut, since they will absorb moisture well. :)

& Maria: you could try chopping it really fine!

Unknown said...

Just baked these--I doubled the recipe, squeezed the heck out of the cauliflower, added one extra egg and one tablespoon psyllium husks for extra binding. (We're heading to a grilled pizza party and I could not risk them falling apart on the grill!) They turned out great--thank you!

Anonymous said...

I’ve made this twice - both times excellent. I used frozen cauliflower rice from Trader Joe’s with eggs whites and whole wheat flour. Baked at 400 and came out perfect. 1.5 hours from start til eating - a little workout wringing out the cauliflower (used cheesecloth), but well worth it. A++ recipe, thanks!

JOJO said...

Put the cauliflower in the air fryer for 10 to 15 minutes, it dries out the cauliflower. then rice it