Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Bell Peppers


Stuffed bell peppers make a super versatile dish, perfect for Paleo eaters.  Mix up whatever filling you'd like, with meat & vegetables of your choice, cut open some peppers, and bake 'em.  

For this recipe, I chose to go with an "enchilada" flavor profile.  I added the spices I would use for a red enchilada sauce, then combined it with tomatoes, green bell peppers, and cauliflower rice to bulk it up a bit.  I decided to shred up rotisserie chicken for this dish since we had one on hand- but you could easily grill up your own chicken for shredding.  


Feel free to switch up the spices and try other meats (ground beef would be good too!) to create your own stuffed pepper combo, then use the cooking directions here as a guide.

I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 6 red bell peppers
  • 2 cups cauliflower rice (see my how-to here)
  • 2 cups shredded chicken (I used about 1/2 of a whole rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp each:  cumin, oregano, garlic powder
  • salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.  
  2. Slice the top off of each bell pepper, and pull out the seeds/insides using your fingers.  Lay each bell pepper down on its side and slice off a thin layer of the bottom so that it will stand flat in the dish.  (Make sure you don't slice off too much- you don't want any holes in the bottom!)
  3. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl & give it a good mix.
  4. Scoop the filling into the bell peppers, and place them in a large casserole dish.
  5. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned and the filling is heated through.  The bell peppers should be slightly softened.
*Tip:  If you're in a rush & want to speed up the cooking time, heat your filling in the microwave for a couple of minutes before baking.






 Let me know if you give them a try!  Comment below, or tag me in a picture on Instagram:  @justjessieb  :)
post signature

3 comments:

Josh said...

Just began my Whole 30 journey on Sunday. Was looking for a quick, easy and tasty dinner for tonight and it looks like I've found it!

Jessie B said...

I hope you enjoy! Good luck with your Whole30! I'm doing one right now too :)

Unknown said...

These are in the oven now. It's the last day of my Whole30 and I'm looking forward to these! :)