Stovetop Taco Soup


After a long day at work, I’m all about easy dinners with absolute minimum clean-up.  That’s why “one-dish meals” are my favorite!

This Paleo-friendly taco soup recipe packs a major flavor punch, yet only requires a short amount of cooking time.


You could easily throw this recipe into the crockpot (just pre-cook the ground beef), and set it before you leave for work… But if you don’t plan ahead, or don’t have a slow cooker- this soup is just as awesome when cooked on the stove.  

I like to make the whole big batch, even just for the two of us, so that we have leftovers for lunch the next day.  Saves me extra work at night making lunches, and tastes even more amazing when it’s reheated!

Try this out when you’re in a pinch on a weeknight, or even when you’ve got guests over on the weekend.  It doesn’t get much easier- and tastes pretty darn good too ;)

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1" strips
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles*
  • 16 oz beef broth
  • 1 tsp each:  chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp each:  sea salt, oregano
  • optional: cilantro & avocado to garnish
*If you can't find this, use 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes + 1/3 of a small can of mild diced green chiles

Directions:
  1. In a large pot, cook the ground beef and onion over medium to medium high heat until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are softened.
  2. Add the red bell pepper and spices, and sauté for about 2 minutes.
  3. Stir in the beef broth and diced tomatoes with green chiles.
  4. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Simmer for as much time as you have-  about 5 minutes will do, but the longer you let it cook the more the flavors will combine.  I like to serve it after a quick simmer, then let the flavors mesh overnight for my lunch the next day :)
  5. Serve with fresh cilantro & sliced avocado.

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessie! I love reading (and making) your recipes! I have a question for you about food prep and grocery shopping - do you cook dinner every single night for the two of you? I find that cooking every night for my boyfriend and I requires me to go to the grocery store non-stop, pretty much every few days! When I lived alone I could go just once a week. Do you go once a week and just plan each meal out for the week when you go? Would love to hear any tips you have on this...thanks!! :)