Strawberry Shortcake Muffins

I came home to stay at my parents' house for the weekend, and found that my dad had brought home a giant flat of strawberries he picked up at a local roadside fruit stand.  I was feeling creative, which resulted in two new recipes packed full of fresh, delicious strawberries.  The first recipe I want to share with you guys is for these delicious muffins.

They taste just like mini strawberry shortcakes, and would be great with breakfast or as a light dessert.  My boyfriend came to visit, and I had these ready & cooled just in time for a snack when he got here.  He definitely approved of these little babies... I don't want to throw out numbers, so let's just say he ate more than you can count on one hand ;) 

My favorite part about these rich, moist, vanilla-laced muffins is that guilt is not one of the ingredients.  They are Paleo-friendly, which means no gluten, grains, dairy, soy, or refined sugars.  And they taste amazing.  You should try them out!  Let me know if you do, I would love to hear what you think!


Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 cups almond flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • coconut oil spray

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
  3. In a smaller bowl, heat the coconut oil and honey until melted.  Add the remaining wet ingredients, including the strawberries, and mix well.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir until combined.
  5. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with coconut spray, or line it with paper muffin cups (I give those a little spray too), & scoop the mixture in.
  6. Bake at 350ºF for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and slightly firm to the touch.
  7. Allow them to cool & enjoy!



post signature

4 comments:

Casey westguard said...

Hey Jessie, these are great. Plan on dropping them off to a friend tomorrow. Should I refrigerate them tonight? Or is it best to leave covered on the counter? Noticed that the chocolate zucchini bread spoiled after 5 days of leaving it out covered on the counter. Many thanks!!

Jessie B said...

Hi Casey! I'm sorry if this is late, but I think storing them either way would be fine! Maybe the fridge especially if it's warm out. I'm so glad you like them, hope your friend does too! :)

Nicole said...

Does the honey leave a "taste" in the recipe -- I feel like I can always taste the honey rather than it just being a sweetener that disappears into the other flavors. Could I sub in maple syrup?

Jessie B said...

Hi Nicole! I guess my earlier comment didn't go through-- but definitely sub maple syrup if you're sensitive to honey! I don't taste it, but I've never really thought about it either. Maple syrup should work just fine :)