Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sweet Potato Protein Cookies


I don't know about you, but I am always looking for ways to get some extra protein in my diet.  While you can always go for deli meat, jerky, or a hard boiled egg- I find that cookies make snack & mealtime just a bit better ;)

Whey protein powder has always been a go-to protein source for me, but it has also been known to give me an upset stomach.  So, I have been on the hunt for a good snack for between meals or post-workout that would give me that protein fill without any tummy discomfort.

These cookies are my 100% Paleo solution.  They are completely free of all dairy, gluten, grains, soy, and refined sugars.  I personally think they taste like mini carrot cakes (depending on what mix-ins you choose); and want to emphasize the fact that while being highly nutrient-dense and incredibly good for you, they still manage to taste absolutely amazing.  

Enjoy these with breakfast, after a workout, or for a sweet (yet healthy) treat any time.  I hope you love 'em!

(Makes 18 cookies)
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sweet potato (either canned puree or cooked sweet potato flesh)
  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 cups of mix-ins*

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  2. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients until combined.
  3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  4. Use a ice cream scoop or a large spoon to drop rounded mounds of batter onto the sheet.  Give at least 1 inch between cookies, as they might spread a little during baking.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow to cool on their baking sheet.
  6. Enjoy!
Mix-in Options: shredded coconut, pumpkin seeds, raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips, sliced almonds, dried cranberries, pecans, etc.

Nutrition Facts: Servings: 9 • Size: 2 cookies
Calories: 220 • Fat: 12 g • Carbs: 20 g • Protein: 9 g • Sugar: 13 g • Sodium: 85 mg

 The mix-ins I chose for this batch were raisins, unsweetened shredded coconut, and pumpkin seeds :)

post signature

5 comments:

Julie B said...

These look yummy! I hope you come home soon and make me some! Otherwise, I might have to actually make them myself! :)

Jessie B said...

I think you would love them mom! I just need to create a Paleo cream cheese frosting & they would really taste like carrot cakes ;)

Jenny said...

I tried these the other night and the batter was still very much a liquid. I added some almond flour which helped but I wondered if you had any thoughts on why it was so thin? Other than that, they tasted great! Thanks for another great recipe!

Jessie B said...

Hi Jenny! I'm not sure when you tried out the recipe, but after posting these I realized that I had left out the coconut flour from the ingredients list. I just recently fixed it, so if you made it without the coconut flour that might be why! Otherwise, these cookies do have a thinner batter than most cookie doughs... more like a thick cake batter. Anyways, so sorry for my mistake! Glad you liked the flavor :)

Mackenzy Bailey said...

I think it's sac-religious to say: paleo cream cheese haha

I'm still waiting on my order!!
MB