My Whole30 Challenge!


As of tomorrow, I am beginning my very own Whole30 challenge! :)

For those wondering what I'm talking about... Basically, the Whole30 is a nutritional program meant to "reset" your body to its best function. It takes you back to the basics of Paleo eating, and cuts out all of the unnecessary stuff that sneaks its way into our daily eating habits. Here's the basic guideline...

  • What to eat: 
    • Real, whole, nutrient-dense foods. High-quality meats, seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruits, and nuts/seeds/oils.
  • What to avoid: 
    • Added sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, dairy, white potatoes, carrageenan/MSG/sulfites, & any type of baked good/dessert/junk food (even if it's been Paleo-fied) 


So, why am I doing this? I'm not an 'unhealthy' eater, I don't really overindulge, and I eat a fairly clean/balanced diet. But let's be real... I'm not perfect. Like many healthy Paleo eaters, I have let little things slip into my diet that don't belong. Recently I have been having some major stomach sensitivity issues, which I'm pretty sure are from the casein in some of the foods I have been eating. (*cough*~Quest Bars) It's an awful feeling to have a horrible stomachache all day long & not know exactly what it's from. That feeling, along with the inspiration of lots of Instagrammers I've seen posting about their Whole30 success stories, is what has brought me here. 

And why now? I know it's not January 1st, it's not a month before I have to wear a bathing suit, it's not even a Monday.... I'm starting on a random Tuesday in February (fully aware that I will be challenging myself on Valentine's Day...aka the day of chocolate). I really just feel like my body needs a hard reset. I want to cleanse my system of any/all wine, chocolate covered almonds, popcorn, and Quest bars- and focus on colorful, nutrient-dense foods. I need to be reminded of food's purpose: to be enjoyed, while fueling my bodyPlus, I just love a good challenge :)

So, here it goes... 30 days of nothing but pure, clean, Paleo foods to keep me happy and healthy. If you're at all interested, go to the site (http://www.whole30.com) to access tons of simply written information to get you started & give you some clear guidelines. Everything is free... you just gotta go grocery shopping! Which brings me to a few tips I have for those of you wanting to start:
  1. Get rid of the bad food (donate it, toss it, feed it to your dog... just make it go away)
  2. Make a plan (grocery list, lunch ideas, sweet tooth fixes, etc.)
  3. Go buy yummy, healthy food :)
Last, but not least, here's what I bought today @ Trader Joe's in preparation for my official start tomorrow. I closely inspected the ingredients lists to make sure these items were all Whole30 compliant!


Please let me know if you have completed a Whole30 before (& have any words of wisdom for me), or if you're thinking of joining me on the journey! Even if you're a day or two (or more) behind, we can still be in it together! 

For extra tips/motivation, I will be posting lots of Whole30-related pictures on my Instagram, and plan on sharing some Whole30 compliant recipes here on my blog. Let me know if there's anything you would like to see! 

Stay happy & healthy,

post signature

8 comments:

The Purple Front Door said...

Today is the last day of my Whole30 challenge! It wasn't as hard as I'd thought it was going to be. I really did have some sweets (and wine) cravings thought! I've only been Paleo for four months, but this took that to a whole different level! I posted several of my favorite Whole30 recipes on my blog if you'd like to check them out. I packed and ate lots of fruits and veggies and also ate a ton of eggs over the last 30 days! Most Paleo recipe are either already Whole30 approved or easily modified. Good luck! You'll do great! Keep us posted.

Jessie B said...

Wow, congrats on finishing!! How exciting. I'm sure I'm going to be feeling the wine cravings too, haha. That beef stew you made looks awesome, can't wait to try it!! Thanks for the advice :)

Katie said...

Um, there's casein in Quest Bars?? How did I not know this?? Ugh... Good luck on your Whole30! I just finished mine last week and feel SO much better.

Unknown said...

I drink enough wine for the both of us; I've got your back.
Good luck! Keep us posted! I love the foods you're cutting out WAY TO MUCH. You're stronger than I am (we witnessed this at Cheesecake Factory haha). Go girl. Win big.
I'll pop a bottle open with you when this is over.

Jessie B said...

@ Katie~ I know, such a bummer! They contain "milk protein isolate" which is a form of casein... My stomach is not a fan! :( I'm happy to hear you made it through your Whole30, I'm already feeling really good from it!

@ Mackenzy~ HAHA, have an extra glass (or five) for me this weekend... I'm going to be tempting myself in lots of ways this weekend, with a pizza/taco-filled birthday party, lots of wine drinking at my parents' house, and baking chocolate chip oreo cookies!!! AHHH

Unknown said...

Hello Jessie! My name is Cassie and I came across your blog searching for Coconut milk coffee creamer (congrats on the SEO on Coconut milk coffee creamer btw :)) I have a new blog myself www.adoreyourhealth.com and I see that we both shop a lot a Trader Joes and we are both located in California. I thought I would ask if you would like to cross reference each others blogs in future posts! Have a look at my site and write me on my contact page if you are interested! Hope to talk to you soon!

Unknown said...

Hi there! Just came across your blog as I am surfing the net for as much info on the Whole30 as possible! I'm loving the info you are sharing on your blog! Thank you!I have just requested you on IG. - Lisa

Jessie B said...

@Lisa Hi! So happy you found my blog, & excited to see you on Instagram! Let me know if there's any helpful info you would like to see on my blog, I'm always open to new post ideas! Good luck on your Whole30, it's a really awesome program :)