Monday, November 18, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Muffins (Paleo)




There's something so comforting about warm baked goods first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee, especially on a chilly weekend. Muffins remind me of home and my mom and a warm, sweet smelling house.

Now, muffins are usually not your friends~ they are full of sugar & unhealthy fats, and packed with unnecessary calories. These, however, are muffins you can feel good about serving to others & yourself~ they will actually love you back. Even better?... they taste like you're cheating. The fact that they're dairy, gluten, grain, & soy-free is just a bonus.

I've spotted several Paleo-friendly muffin recipes around various recipe books and websites, but I wanted one with a list of ingredients I regularly have on hand. So, I decided to create my very own using just that~ basic ingredients that aren't difficult to find & that I know I'll use up.

These muffins also happen to be perfect for the fall season (or any season if you ask me) with their perfectly-sweet cinnamon flavor and chunks of fresh apple. You can dice the apples up real small if you want them speckled throughout, or leave them chunky like I did if you want to really bite into them. I created this recipe to mimic an apple cake boxed mix we used to prepare (that was definitely not Paleo), & I love how it turned out. They're perfectly moist & cake-like with just the right amount of cinnamon spice. Make them for breakfast, snacks, or even dessert... these are sure to be a big hit.

Hope you enjoy :)

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 cups almond flour/meal
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 medium apple, diced (I used Honey Crisp)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • coconut oil spray
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients with the diced apple.
  3. Place the honey & coconut oil in a small bowl & heat in the microwave. 
  4. Once melted, add the eggs and vanilla.
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients & stir until just combined.
  6. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil spray, and scoop the mixture in.
  7. Bake at 350ºF for about 15 minutes, or until the tops begin to turn golden brown and feel slightly firm/springy to the touch.
  8. Let cool, & enjoy!



post signature

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made these this weekend and LOVED them. Any idea how many calories are in each?

Thanks again!

Jessie B said...

So happy that you liked the muffins! Thanks for coming back to tell me :)

I did a quick calculation~ they're about 230 calories each. Good calories though! ;)

Casey said...

Hey Jessie haven't made these in awhile but wanted to and can't find the calculation for sibling coconut flour for the almond flour. Can u send to me again? Thanks!

Erin said...

Did you find the substitution? I would love to have this too! Thanks!

Erin said...

Did you find the substitution? I would love to have this too! Thanks!

Jessie B said...

Hi Casey & Erin! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I haven't tried coconut flour in this recipe, but typically for every 1 cup of coconut flour, you would use 6 eggs. :)

Camille said...

I made these and they are yummy! They don't fall apart either! I will definitely mention these on my blog (blessinginthecurse.blogspot.com)!

Jessie B said...

Hi Camille! So glad you liked them. You should try my cranberry almond muffins too! Or my new strawberry shortcake ones :) I went over & followed your blog :)

Casey westguard said...

Hi I'm pretty sure last time I did 1/2 c of coconut flour to 3 eggs. You sent it to me on Instagram so I'll search there to see if I can find it. The coconut flour is so dense that you wouldn't need a whole c. Did the same thing with the zucchini muffins tonight and made it 1/3 or 1/2 c of coconut flour and added one more egg. Worked great!