Homemade Coconut Cream Pie Larabars


Larabars have been a favorite go-to snack of mine for years now. They’re super filling, give you natural energy, & are convenient to take on the go when you’re busy. They also, however, are pretty expensive. 

That’s why I like to make my own! It’s cheaper & also allows me to get creative with the flavors. I love making these for friends & family as little gifts too. My boyfriend loves them, and I’ve created a few special flavors just for him (one containing coffee)!

I plan to share more of my Larabar creations later, but for now I’m starting out with my basic "Coconut Cream Pie" recipe-- which I came up with last Christmas as a re-creation of my boyfriend's favorite Larabar. If you’re not a fan of coconut, leave it out & you will have something close to the “Cashew Cookie” flavor.


I use a food processor for my bars, but I’ve heard that it can also be done with a blender or Magic Bullet (anything with a 'pulse' function). If you try these out with another gadget, I would love to hear how it goes! Good luck, & feel free to get creative with these :)


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup dates*, pitted
  • 1/2 cup raw almonds
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • dash of salt

*I use Medjool dates. Find them in the produce section at Costco or health food stores!


Directions:
  1. Place the dates, almonds, cashews, & coconut oil in the food processor.
  2. Pulse until the mixture begins to stick together a bit & resembles dough.
  3. Add the coconut, vanilla & salt and pulse until combined.
  4. Put the mixture into a plastic bag & press together into a log shape to set.
  5. Refrigerate for up to an hour, or until firm.  



That's it! All that's left is to roll out the dough & shape as you wish! You can use a cookie cutter, slice into bars, or roll into bite-size balls. I wrap mine in plastic wrap & store them in the fridge to keep fresh.


I hope you try these out & enjoy them! They are such a great snack-- good for you, and taste like dessert :) Even if you aren't a fan of the original bars (or have never tried them), give them a go! Both my mom and brother, who "don't like Larabars", LOVE these.
post signature

3 comments:

Julie B said...

Yum! Love these - and they're my favorite flavor! They're best when you make them for me :)

Jessie B said...

Try some in your food processor, they're worth the clean-up! Until then, I will have to make you guys some more soon... :)

Teacher Amy said...

Just made these... Even more yummy than lemon!