Ha- seriously though, it just had an odd flavor to me in comparison to my beloved almond butter. I felt like it had too much of a "cheesy" flavor which was not my favorite for a sweet snack. But- ever since then, I have been wanting to play with cashew butter a bit more. I figured that cheesy, creamy flavor could be put to good use in some type of sauce or dip.
My first cashew butter creation happened last weekend, and I could not be happier with it! I made my own cashew butter by blending the nuts with coconut milk (for extra creaminess) and chicken bone broth (for a savory flavor & bonus nutrients). The result was a thick, creamy sauce that I knew would be the perfect base for an Alfredo sauce.
I hope you all enjoy this as much as I do... It's truly worth the extra effort!
Side note: I added broccoli to mine, since that's how we ate our Chicken Alfredo as kids. You could leave it out, or try some fresh spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, bacon, etc. Get creative!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (canned; I used "light")
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil or ghee
- 4 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets, broken into pieces
- salt & pepper (I used about 1 tsp each)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, and place the open sides down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until tender enough to scrape out with a fork.
- While the squash bakes, grill the chicken breast with a little salt & pepper to season. You can use a skillet or grill pan; just make sure it is lightly browned & cooked through. Allow it to rest, then slice into bite-sized pieces. Now you can start your sauce....
- Blend the cashews, coconut milk, and broth in a blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside or refrigerate if you make it ahead of time.
- Once the the squash is done baking, use a fork to scrape out your "pasta" and transfer it into a bowl.
- In a large skillet or pot over medium heat, sauté the broccoli, garlic, & onion in avocado oil or ghee until slightly softened (2-3 minutes). Add the sauce, and stir to combine.
- Stir in the spaghetti squash, and season with salt & pepper. Continue to cook until the sauce begins to thin (about 5 minutes).
- Add the chicken to dish and stir. Continue to cook until the sauce simmers and the chicken is warmed. Serve hot!
*Serves 4 to 6, depending on how much you eat! ;)